Hans L. Christensen // Chief Executive Officer • Chief Investment Officer • Founder
- 42 Years Experience
- Hans Christensen is co-founder of MJX Asset Management.
- Prior to joining MJX, Hans was Chief Investment Officer for Barclays U.S. Collateralized Debt Obligation (“CDO”) asset management business. Hans also worked at Citibank N.A. for 20 years in various portfolio management, credit, and corporate finance roles. Previously he worked at Banker’s Trust Company and began his career with Harris Trust & Savings Bank in Chicago.
- Privately, he is a Member of the Board of Trustees for Regis College and The U.S. Army War College Foundation. He is also is co-founder of a charity that runs elementary school as well as a vocational school for girls and women in Pakistan.
- Mr. Christensen received his BS in Finance from Indiana University and his MBA in Finance from DePaul University
Martin F. Davey // Senior Portfolio Manager • Founder
- 30 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Martin Davey was a Senior Portfolio Manager for Barclays. He joined Barclays in August 2001 to launch its US Leveraged Loan and High Yield asset management business. Prior to joining Barclays, Mr. Davey was a Senior Portfolio Manager in Citibank’s AIS group and was responsible for managing a $2.0 billion continually offered market value CLO, a position he held from 1997 until joining Barclays in August 2001.
- Previously, Mr. Davey was a Trader in Citicorp Securities’ High Yield Bond Department, following his role as a Senior Analyst covering various industrial and retail sectors in the same High Yield Bond department.
- Mr. Davey received his B.A. in Economics and English from Williams College and his MBA in Finance from New York University’s Stern School of Business. Mr. Davey is also a CPA.
John Calaba // Senior Portfolio Manager • Managing Director
- 16 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in July of 2004, John Calaba was working as an Analyst/Consultant for the Liberty Mutual Group. He joined Liberty in 2001 where he performed a wide variety of analytics tasks, which ranged from analyzing the credit and liquidity profiles of potential policyholders to managing the profitability of a portion of the premium portfolio. Mr. Calaba also participated in the structuring of offshore captive risk management programs and arranged alternative risk financing for clients.
- Mr. Calaba graduated from New York University with a BA in Economics.
Robert Gallucci // Portfolio Manager • Director
- 11 Years Experience / 10 at MJX
- Prior to joining MJX, Robert Gallucci was a Trading Assistant, Structured Credit at Citigroup.
- Mr. Gallucci received a BBA from Loyola University Maryland.
Robert Seda // Portfolio Manager • Director
- 10 Years Experience / 10 at MJX
- Prior to joining MJX, Robert Seda was an Investment Analyst at JP Marvel Investment Advisors.
- Mr. Seda received a BA from Boston College.
Thomas Vannatta // Senior Portfolio Manager • Managing Director
- 22 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Thomas Vannatta was a Executive Director at Brightwater Capital, where he served as an Investment Committee member specializing in Asset Backed Securities, and performerd credit analysis and modeling at asset specific and portfolio levels.
- Prior to joining Brightwater, Mr. Vannatta was an ABS analyst in the Global Financial Markets Portfolio Management Unit of WestLB. His responsibilities included management of CDO’s, Bank Balance Sheet, and Security Arbitrage Conduits.
- Mr. Vannatta joined WestLB in 1999 as a member of the Financial Group as part of a team that analyzed new product proposals related to structured credit businesses, including daily risk attribution reporting.
- Prior to joining WestLB Mr. Vannatta was an associate of the Prudential Insurance Company working in the Pension and Insurance group.
- He began his career working at Bloomberg Financial Markets as part of the quality control group, responsible for all ABS, MBS and structured credit functionality.
- Mr. Vannatta holds a B.S. in Accounting from William Patterson University
Michael Regan // Head of Research • Managing Director
- 26 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in November 2003, Michael Regan was a Portfolio Manager for Barclays. He joined Barclays in August 2001 as part of the team to launch the US Leveraged Loan and High Yield Bond asset management unit. Prior to that, Mr. Regan was a Portfolio Manager for the AIS unit of Citigroup where he directly managed two vehicles investing in leveraged loans and high yield bonds. He also acted as lead analyst covering the telecommunications, broadcasting, cable and technology sectors across all the unit’s internally managed portfolios.
- Previously, he was a Senior Analyst in the Global High Yield Research department for Citigroup Securities Inc. where he covered the telecommunications sector. Other experience includes time at HSBC where his duties included managing the bank’s Emerging Markets bond portfolio.
- Mr. Regan graduated from Rutgers College with a Bachelor of Arts with Honors and an MBA from New York University in 1996.
Frederick H. Taylor // Head of Distressed • Managing Director
- 38 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Fred Taylor was a Senior Research Analyst for Lord Abbett & Co. covering high yield.
- Mr. Taylor has extensive experience in the high yield market, beginning in the late 1980’s as a Senior High Yield Analyst at Salomon Brothers where he was named an Institutional Investor All-American.
- Following 10 years at Salomon Brothers, Mr. Taylor has had several senior high yield positions including Head of High Yield Research at Schroders and Company, Global Head of High Yield Research for Barclays Capital and Head of High Yield Research at Fleet Security until 2004.
- He began his career as a Relationship Manager at Bank of America.
- Mr. Taylor received his BS in Economics from Guilford College and his MBA in Finance from Boston College Graduate School of Management.
Kenneth G. Ostmann // Sector Specialist • Managing Director
- 25 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in November 2003, Kenneth Ostmann was a Portfolio Manager for Barclays. He joined Barclays in January 2002. Prior to that, Mr. Ostmann was a Vice President for the Private Securities unit of Alliance Capital where he was responsible for investments in private placement transactions and leveraged loans for high yield and CDO vehicles. He also managed a portfolio of investments in the aerospace/defense and transportation sectors.
- Prior to joining Alliance, Mr. Ostmann worked with Mr. Christensen at Citibank as part of the portfolio management team.
- A former Naval Flight Officer and U.S. Navy veteran, Mr. Ostmann received his B.S. in Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania and his MBA in Finance from the Yale School of Management.
David F. Harrington // Sector Specialist • Managing Director
- 39 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Mr. Harrington was a Managing Director at Brightwater Capital Management, LLC, a Registered Investment Advisor. Brightwater specialized in the management of diversified structured finance securities including residential and commercial MBS, consumer and commercial ABS, CLOs and other securitized products. Brightwater’s combined Assets Under Management totaled approximately $35 billion which included $2 billion of U.S. broadly syndicated leverage loans and investment grade corporate bonds.
- Prior to joining Brightwater, Mr. Harrington was Managing Director of ING Barings (US) Capital LLC, and was responsible for investing, trading, hedging and funding requirements of a $2 billion commercial paper conduit program comprised of diversified RMBS, CMBS and ABS securities. David also managed two term-funded structures that totaled approximately $908 million of AUM. One structure included investment grade corporates only while the other contained a diversified portfolio of RMBS, CMBS and ABS securities.
- Prior to joining ING/BBL in 1993, Mr. Harrington spent twelve years in the leveraged leasing business primarily with Bank of America. Mr. Harrington began his career at Price Waterhouse in the Audit Group.
- Mr. Harrington is a Certified Public Accountant and a graduate of Yale University with a B.A. in History
Atha Baugh // Sector Specialist • Managing Director
- 22 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in August 2004, Atha Baugh was a Vice President/Bank Debt Analyst in the Leverage Finance group of Credit Suisse First Boston (CSFB). As an analyst at CSFB, Mr. Baugh was responsible for credit research on actively traded bank debt. In addition, he was responsible for the credit review of clients’ assets included in CDO/CLO warehouse vehicles. Prior to CSFB, Mr. Baugh was a Bank Debt and Distressed Debt research analyst for Barclays Capital’s Syndicated Loan Group (July 1997 through December 1998)
- Mr. Baugh began his research career at Citicorp Securities where he completed rotations in the Syndicated Loan and High-Yield Research Groups from 1994 to 1997. During his career Mr. Baugh has covered numerous industries including Chemicals, Steel, Auto Suppliers, Healthcare, Restaurants and Hotels. Other experiences include Senior Auditor at the First National Bank of Chicago where his responsibilities included leading internal audits of acquired banks
- Mr. Baugh graduated from Morehouse College earning a Bachelor of Arts with a Concentration in Accounting and Clark Atlanta University with a MBA in Finance
Simon Yuan // Sector Specialist • Managing Director
- 14 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in January 2004, Simon Yuan worked as a financial analyst at AXA Financial, LLC. He joined AXA in 2002 where he used statisical models to analyze historical trends and develop forecasts. Along with a team of senior financial analysts, Mr. Yuan assisted in constructing hypothetical illustrations for various client portfolios.
- Mr. Yuan graduated from New York University with a BA in Economics and Psychology.
Lex Ng To // Sector Specialist • Director
- 11 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Lex Ng To was a financial analyst at Morgan Stanley.
- Mr. To received his BS from NYU Stern School of Business.
Timothy Farrell, CFA // Portfolio Manager • Director
- 8 Years Experience
- Mr. Farrell joined MJX in 2010
- Mr. Farrell holds a B.S. in Finance from Villanova University.
- Mr. Farrell received his Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation in 2015.
Harold S. Holappa, II // Managing Director
- 29 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Harold Holappa was a Managing Director and Global Head of Structuring at TD Securities with stints in both New York and London. He was responsible for the origination and distribution of both synthetic and cash CDOs. Mr. Holappa created, closed and distributed approximately $10 billion of synthetic CDOs including one of the first and largest fully-syndicated, rated transactions (TORUS) and one of the first managed high yield CDOs (TORUS HY). Mr. Holappa also helped establish and integrate a cash CDO origination and distribution business into TD’s derivatives trading infrastructure.
- Prior to joining TD Securities, Mr. Holappa was a Director in CIBC’s Financial Products Group in New York from 1995 to 1997 where he was recruited to establish a credit derivatives business. At CIBC, Mr. Holappa was a frequent speaker at credit derivatives conferences.
- Prior to CIBC, Mr. Holappa spent almost 7 years at Bankers Trust in New York where he was a Vice President and founding member of the world’s first Credit Derivatives Group. Other assignments included Loan Syndications, High Yield Capital Markets, CDOs and Private Equity.
- Mr. Holappa earned an MBA from the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration in 1990. He earned a BA, magna cum laude, in Mathematical Economics from Colgate University in 1986.
Paul Frederick Bird // Managing Director
- 23 Years Experience
- Prior to MJX, Fred Bird was a Managing Director, Head of Risk Management and Operating Committee Member for Deustche Bank Securities Prime Brokerage Services. Mr. Bird was responsible for managing a global team of risk professionals in the risk taking and management of collateralized lending to hedge funds. He was the architect of an industry-first, risk-based cross-product margining system for hedge fund lending, and responsible for dbRiskOffice.
- Prior to that, Mr. Bird was a Director, Deutsche Bank Securities, with sole responsibility for the creation, implementation, and trading of proprietary portfolios of US Equities using quantitative momentum trading models.
- Prior to Deutsche, Mr. Bird was a Vice President for NatWest Markets where he designed and implemented a counterparty risk system.
- Prior to NatWest Markets, he was a Vice President, Morgan Stanley, and North American Head of Quantitative Research responsible for the structured product, equity derivative, and program trading businesses.
- He began his career as a Staff Scientist, Superconducting Supercollider, Dallas. And before that, a Research Fellow, CERN, Geneva.
- Mr. Bird earned a PhD in Physics and an MS in Engineering from Stanford and a BS in Electrical Engineering from the University of New Mexico.
Lewis I. Brown, CFA // Head Trader • Managing Director
- 13 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in early 2007, Mr. Brown participated in the analyst program at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York where he worked on a wide range of projects.
- Mr. Brown is a 2005 graduate of New York University’s Stern School of Business where he received his B.S. in Finance & International Business.
- Mr. Brown received his Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation in 2011.
Lara Atallah, CFA // Trader • Director
- 6 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Ms. Atallah was with Morgan Stanley in Private Wealth Management.
- Ms. Atallah holds a B.S. in Finance from Pace University, Lubin School of Business.
- Ms. Atallah received her Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation in 2016.
Thomas P. Finn // Chief Legal and Compliance Officer
- 25 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in May 2006, Thomas Finn was US Market Region Counsel for the Citigroup Private Bank for more than ten years where, among other things, he served as legal counsel to the Private Bank in connection with the structuring and management of CDOs. Mr. Finn joined Citigroup in 1986 as Associate General Counsel Mergers & Acquisitions and subsequently served as General Counsel of Citicorp POS Information Services, Inc and Citicorp Card Acceptance Services, Inc.
- Prior to joining Citigroup, Mr. Finn engaged in the private practice of law as a partner in the firm of Hale, Russell & Gray where he specialized in corporate and securities work.
- Mr. Finn received his BA from Manhattan College and holds a JD from Villanova University School of Law and LL.M. from New York University School of Law.
Sean O. Dougherty // Legal Counsel
- 20 Years Experience / 1 at MJX
- Prior to joining MJX in March 2017, Sean Dougherty was the general counsel and an initial member of CIFC’s Management team, where he structured and closed seven CLO’s and twelve foreign and domestic facilities.
- In addition, Mr. Dougherty was also a Director in S&P’s CLO Rating group as well as an associate in Mayer Brown’s structured finance practice group.
- Mr. Dougherty received his BS from Duquesne University and holds a JD (High Distinction) from the University of Iowa College of Law. Mr. Dougherty is also a CPA.
Pierre Batrouni // CFO • COO
- 33 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Peter Batrouni was manager of Merrill Lynch’s LCD Loan Documentation and Operations Department where he was responsible for all loan documentation and settlement for primary and secondary, par and distressed, US and European loan support.
- Mr. Batrouni has extensive experience in bank loan and securities operations and management, including Manager of Citigroup’s LCD Loan Documentation and Operations Department covering New York, London and Hong Kong, Manager of Operations at WestLB, General Partner and Manager of Operations for Columbus Advisors, a hedge fund, and Swap Support at Bankers Trust Company.
- Mr. Batrouni attended St. John’s University and Staten Island College.
Elizabeth A. Burnett // Managing Director • Loan Closing
- 26 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX in April 2007, Elizabeth Burnett was Manager for par and distressed closings at Merrill Lynch where she was responsible for all aspects of secondary trading and settlements, loan administration and portfolio management support.
- She was previously a business analyst at the Bank of New York Alternative Investments services. Ms. Burnett was also a consultant for Merrill Lynch and SilverPoint Capital in their secondary closing/administration areas. She was also a consultant for Goldentree Asset Management as a business analyst in the technology area.
- From 1998 until 2001, Ms. Burnett was Assistant Vice President at Credit Suisse/ DLJ for loan syndications and agency areas in bank loans.
- From 1991, she was a Loan Administrator at SBC Warburg.
- In 1985, Ms. Burnett began her career at Manufacturers Hanover Trust.
- Ms. Burnett attended Baruch College, City University of New York, concentrating in International Marketing.
Kentay Miller // Managing Director • Fund Compliance & Fund Accounting
- 17 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Kentay Miller was a Compliance and Operations Associate for Silver Point Capital Management, where he was instrumental in the transfer of $2.6 billion in assets to new CDO Funds and provided portfolio liquidity projections and compliance verification for five CDO’s totaling 5 billion. Responsible for development of key compliance technology initiatives and providing compliance driven risk analysis.
- Previously, Mr. Miller was a Relationship Manager, VP at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in Houston, TX, responsible for nine CDOs including four CDOs, two CLOs, two CBOs and one Project Finance CDO.
- Mr. Miller attended University of Houston.
Christine Xu // Director
- 12 Years Experience
- Prior to joining MJX, Christine Xu, was operations analyst at Royal Bank of Scotland where her responsibilities were trade settlements, loan administration and migration of Misys LoanIQ platform.
- Prior to joining Royal Bank of Scotland, Christine Xu was compliance officer for First Commercial Bank where she managed KYC compliance and agency deal administration.
- Ms. Xu graduated from Binghamton University with a BA in finance.